Kyla Kegler is an artist living in Buffalo who makes performances combining absurd and cliche narrative structures, video, big head masks, and somatic information to induce climactic moments between fiction and reality.
Kegler has exhibited and performed extensively in Berlin, Buffalo, and NYC. She received her MFA in studio art on full fellowship at the University at Buffalo in 2018 and her MA in Solo/Dance/Authorship at the Art University of Berlin in 2015. She prioritizes inclusive presentational methods that bridge contexts. She prioritizes inclusive presentational methods that bridge contexts.
About this work:
My current project “It’s You I Like” is a live Zoom miniseries loosely structured after Mr. Rogers, and made in search of connection during socially distant times. The content of the show is based on conversations with five artists in five different cities around the world, whose intimate thoughts and landscapes are combined with surreal big-head puppets searching for purpose.
This project consists of three episodes: 1. Home, 2. Work, and 3. Relationships.
Episode 2: Work aired live on Sunday May 31st 4pm ET.
- Production by Jake Vogan
- Music by Micah Blaichman (New York, NY) imdb.com/name/nm9314706 lordyouth.com
- Script editing/co-writing by Thea Kegler (Los Angeles, CA) thearnvk.tumblr.com
- Performed by
- Jake Vogan (Buffalo, NY) www.jacobvogan.co
- Hope Mora (Pecos, TX) hopemora.com
- Ixchel Mendoza Hernandez (Berlin, Germany) ixchelmendozahernandez.weebly.com www.tanzforumberlin.de/en/artist/ixchel-mendoza-hernandez
- Lulu Obermayer (Munich, Germany) www.luluobermayer.com
- Lydia Kegler (Los Angeles, CA) instagram.com/lydia.kegler
This project is a production of UB Arts Collaboratory co-sponsored by Arts Services Initiative of WNY with support from Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center. Major Support provided by M&T Bank. Additional support by Savarino Companies, LLC
Watch “Home”— Episode 1 of “It’s You I Like” which aired live on May 24th 2020:
Watch “Work”— Episode 2 of “It’s You I Like” which aired live on May 31st 2020:
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/3285994344779288/
Back to 2020 Performance Mix Festival